Scholarship amount: $1,000
Scholarships Available: 4
- 2 scholarships of $1,000 will be awarded to two students enrolled full-time in undergraduate studies
- 2 scholarships of $1,000 will be awarded to two students enrolled full-time in graduate studies
Please highlight in your application which scholarship applies to you.
Submission deadline: February 29, 2024
Selected scholarship recipients will be notified by March 28, 2024
Mission and Objectives
Freddie is an online health service with the goal of increasing sexual wellness for LGBTQ2S+ communities. Freddie currently offers PrEP, a daily pill that reduces one’s risk of acquiring HIV by 99%, among other services for queer and trans people. PrEP is highly effective and free for many people in Canada; however, there are many barriers to accessing the medication. Freddie makes it easy to access PrEP through convenient and inclusive virtual care. Our mission is to uplift and support queer and trans communities by expanding access to sexual healthcare.
As such, Freddie is committed to supporting LGBTQ2S+ students pursuing their post-secondary education. Besides facing stigma due to identity, expression, and sexuality, queer and trans communities are at higher risk of poverty, homelessness, and violence. Through all of this, LGBTQ2S+ students are resilient - we want to celebrate that!
Freddie wants to make your student journey easier so that you can focus on giving your education your best.
All candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled as a full-time student in a Canadian post-secondary program of study (both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible). We also accept applications from high school students enrolled in full-time studies in a post-secondary institution
- Identify as part of the LGBTQ2S+ community
- Submit an essay and supporting documentation (guidelines below)
Black, Indigenous, other people of colour, and Disabled communities are strongly encouraged to apply
Submission and Essay Instructions
To submit your interest in the Freddie Scholarship, please submit the following documents here.
- Proof of enrolment in a post-secondary institution
- Resume outlining any relevant experience (attached as a PDF or Word Document)
- Essay (attached as a PDF or Word Document)
Please write an essay addressing all of the following themes: yourself, involvement with the LGBTQ2S+ community, and resilience (whether as it relates to your experience or in general). Essays should be between 500 and 1,000 words.
If an alternative format is preferable and more accessible to you, you’re welcome to submit that instead (e.g. video, art).
Once you have those documents ready, simply fill out the form by clicking here!
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of two Freddie staff members and one community organization representative.
Successful applicants will demonstrate:
- That they are change-makers in these communities
- That they are working towards LGBTQ2S+ empowerment
Your scholarship may be tax deductible. However, you are responsible for any tax reporting requirements and any tax due. We cannot give any tax advice.
Freddie will not share the personal information of applications in any way. All information submitted is to be kept strictly confidential and used solely for the purpose of determining a winner.