Scholarship Amount: $2,000
Scholarships Available: 2
- 1 scholarship of $2,000 will be awarded to a student enrolled full-time in undergraduate studies, and
- 1 scholarship of $2,000 will be awarded to a student enrolled full-time in graduate studies
Please highlight in your application which scholarship applies to you.
Submission Deadline: October 14, 2022
Selected scholarship recipients will be notified by November 15, 2022
Mission and Objectives
Freddie is an online health service organization with the goal of increasing sexual wellness access for LGBTQ2S+ communities. Freddie currently offers HIV PrEP, a daily pill that reduces one’s risk of acquiring HIV by 99%. PrEP is highly effective and free for many people in Canada; however, there are many barriers to accessing the treatment. Freddie makes it easy to access PrEP through online, convenient, and inclusive care. Our mission is to uplift and support queer and trans communities through changes in health care and HIV prevention.
As such, Freddie is committed to supporting LGBTQ2S+ students pursuing their post-secondary education. Besides facing stigma due to identity, expression, and sexuality, queer and trans communities are at higher risk of poverty, homelessness, and violence. Yet these students also build extreme resilience, and that must be celebrated.
Freddie wants to make your student journey easier so that you can focus on giving your education your best.
All eligible candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled as a full-time student in a Canadian post-secondary program of study (both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible)
- We accept applications from high school students enrolled in full-time studies in a post-secondary institution
- Identify as part of the LGBTQ2S+ community
- Submit an essay (guidelines below)
- Black, Indigenous, and Disabled communities are strongly encouraged to apply
Submission and Essay Instructions
To submit your interest in the Freddie Scholarship, please submit the following documents here.
1. Proof of enrolment in a post-secondary institution
2. Resume outlining leadership experience
Please write an essay addressing all of the following themes: yourself, involvement with the LGBTQ2S+ community, and resilience (whether as it relates to your experience or in general).
Essays should be between 500 and 1,000 words.
If an alternative format is preferable and more accessible to you, you’re welcome to submit that instead (e.g. video, art).
Once you have those documents ready, simply fill out the form by clicking here!
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of two Freddie staff members and one community organization representative.
Successful applicants will demonstrate:
- Engagement in community activities
- Desire towards enacting change, especially as it relates to LGBTQ2S+ empowerment
Your scholarship may be tax deductible. However, you are responsible for any tax reporting requirements and any tax due. We cannot give any tax advice.
Freddie will not share the personal information of applications in any way. All information submitted is to be kept strictly confidential and used solely for the purpose of determining a winner.